January 8, 2015

Review: Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1) by Tahereh Mafi

image
Release Date: November 15, 2011
Rating: 4.5 Stars


Blurb:


I have a curse.I have a gift.

I’m a monster.I’m more than human.

My touch is lethal.My touch is power.

I am their weapon.I will fight back.

No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal, but The Reestablishment has plans for her. Plans to use her as a weapon. But Juliette has plans of her own. After a lifetime without freedom, she’s finally discovering a strength to fight back for the very first time—and to find a future with the one boy she thought she’d lost forever.


I mean sure there were sentences like: "He says it with a small smile the size of Jupiter." & "Warner thinks Adam is a cardboard cutout of vanilla regurgitations." And, true, there was alot of this striking thing going on, but I LOVED IT!

Shatter Me is about a dystopian world and a girl, Juliette, who lives in it. Juliette has been locked away in an asylum for 264 days for murder. 264 days of isolation. Until Adam. Adam who reminds her of a boy she once knew. Adam who is tall and sexy and wears clothes that hug his chiseled body and, y’know, he’s everything a young adult romance book boyfriend usually is. Still, I love it.

image

Then I hate it, cause it turns out Adam is only in Juliette’s cell at the command of psychotic Warner, the leader of the Sector 45 and the son of the Supreme Commander of the hostile organization that is The Reestablishment.

image

I hate Warner! You’ll hate him, too. Or maybe you won’t. I read a lot of reviews describing him as intensely sexy but kind of crazy. How confusing. I mean, the guy wants to use Juliette for her ‘I can kill a human with my touch’ powers. Plus all of his “choose me, choose me, Juliette” issues were seriously creepy.



SPOILER ALERT!
So then it turns out that Adam, like me, actually hates Warner, too! Juliette is actually the closest thing Adam had to a friend in school, so when he heard rumor that Warner was looking for Juliette to use her as a weapon, Adam decided to join the army and rescue her.
So then I’m back to I love it I love it I love it.
SPOILER ENDS.



Whether you end up hating it or loving it, it’s definitely worth a try. Especially if you’re a romantic old sap like me. (:


EDIT: I don't know how she did it, but I'm now a die-hard Warner fan! Ladies, read the entire series and you'll see why! (;


image

No comments:

Post a Comment